In their Q4 and full year 2013 financial results cover note, Sotheby’s detailed the company’s continued investment in digital services, emphasizing mobile, increased engagement times, reach (particularly in Asia) and language localization:
- Sotheby’s continues to invest in its digital media strategy via the sothebys.com website and its iPad and Android applications to facilitate Sotheby’saccessibility to clients on mobile platforms.
- The website and BIDnow live auction bidding platform were both redesigned in 2013 to enable each to work across all tablet and mobile platforms, resulting in a significant increase in client usage, including
- a 45% increase in online bidding,
- a 50% increase in Asian client traffic, and
- a 25% increase in time spent on mobile devices.
- In addition, clients in the Sotheby’s Preferred client loyalty program have doubled their visits to sothebys.com over the past year, illustrating both the reach of mobile technology and the impact of a more engaging online experience with multi-lingual (e.g., Chinese) content.